- Ph.D., Wright State University, 2006
- M.S., Ajou University, South Korea, 2001
- B.S., Ajou University, South Korea, 1996
Research Areas and Descriptors
- Computer-Aided Engineering and Mechanics of Materials; Information engineering for complex engineered systems, robust design, modeling uncertainty, probabilistic mechanics, and multidisciplinary optimization
Dr. Choi began at Tech in Fall 2006 as an Assistant Professor. Prior to joining Georgia Tech, he was a research assistant at Wright State University, conducting research on uncertainty quantification techniques for the analytical certification of complex engineered systems. As an Engineer Officer in the South Korea Army, he led the team that constructs military facilities and also trained soldiers to carry out military tasks.
Dr. Choi's research interests include structural reliability, probabilistic mechanics, statistical approaches to design of structural systems, multidisciplinary design optimization, and information engineering for complex engineered systems. He recently completed a challenging research effort, funded by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research and the Office of Naval Research, on the uncertainty quantification for the analytical certification of aerospace and underwater vehicles. During the project, he combined state-of-the-art numerical techniques in statistical methods and structural analysis methods with innovative uncertainty quantification techniques.
Dr. Choi's current research focus is on the development of robust simulation and decision-support tools to assist the management of complex engineered systems involving material design and multifunctional products. Innovative and advanced research opportunities and grants are available for interested graduate and undergraduate students.
- Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence, 2009
- Dayton Area Graduate Studies Institute (DAGSI) competitive scholarship, 2003
- Young researcher fellowship from M.I.T. for research in computational mechanics, 2003
- Tau Beta Pi (the engineering honor society) Member
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Member
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers Member
S. Choi, R. V. Grandh, and R. A. Canfield, 2006. Reliability-Based Structural Design, Springer, London.
S. Choi, R. V. Grandhi, and R. A. Canfield. 2006. Robust Design of Mechanical Systems via Stochastic Expansion. International Journal of Materials and Product Technology 25, 27-143.
S. Choi, R. A. Canfield, and R. V. Grandhi. 2006. Estimation of Structural Reliability for Gaussian Random Fields. Structure & Infrastructure Engineering 2(3-4), 161-173.
S. Choi, R. V. Grandhi, R. A. Canfield, and C. L. Pettit 2004. Polynomial Chaos Expansion with Latin Hypercube Sampling for Estimating Response Variability. AIAA Journal 42(6), 1191-1198.
S. Choi, R. V. Grandhi, and R. A. Canfield. 2004. Structural Reliability under non-Gaussian Stochastic Behavior. Computers and Structures 82, 1113-1121.