Change Your Major

Change of Major Rules & Regulations (Institute Level Rules)

  • Undergraduate students will be permitted one unrestricted transfer between majors until they have earned 60 credit hours.  There are a few departments who have been granted exceptions to that rule, so please contact an advisor in that department to be sure.  ME and ISYE are both exceptions to the institute policy.  See the ME requirements below.
  • After 60 hours or upon subsequent change of major, the change will be permitted at the discretion of the school that the student is seeking to enter.
  • Students who transfer from another institution will be permitted to change their major only at the discretion of the school that the student is seeking to enter.
  • Beginning Summer 2017 - Admitted freshmen will not be allowed to submit a request for a change of major until after the deadline for withdrawal from classes with a W grade in the first term of their enrollment. The change would be effective for the second term of enrollment. This includes a change of major within the student's current College. For freshmen admitted for Summer, the restriction is lifted after the withdraw deadline of their second semester of enrollment. All other restrictions also apply.
  • Students who wish to add a secondary major must fill out a change of major form and are subject to the same requirements as changing your major.

Change your Major to NRE

  • Students who have more than 60 credit hours must have a minimum Georgia Tech GPA of 2.6.
  • Students who have previously changed their major must have a minimum Georgia Tech GPA of 2.6.
  • Transfer students must have completed at least one semester at Georgia Tech, completed at least 12 credit hours with a minimum Georgia Tech GPA of 2.6.
  • A student who started at Georgia Tech as a Freshman and has not yet changed majors can change their major to NRE before earning 60 credit hours (including transfer, AP and IB hours) without any restrictions after the required waiting time. The Change of Major form must be received prior to completion of earning 60 credit hours. 

How to Change your Major

  • Obtain a change of major form.
  • Have your current academic advisor and your new academic advisor sign it.
  • To obtain the ME, NRE or UEC signature, drop the form off at the front desk in MRDC room 3112.  MRDC which is building 135 on the campus map.  You can then pick it up the following business day from our office.  Click here for our office hours.  Students who are away from campus, can also email the form to Bianca Tenney  We will email the form back to you after it has been signed.
  • Keep in mind that many departments will not sign your form during registration.  ME will sign forms during registration times.
  • Some majors (such as Computer Science, Business Administration, Chemical Engineering, Civil & Environmental Engineering and Industrial Engineering) require that you attend a change of major meeting before they will sign your change of major form.
  • You can find advisors in all departments using Grades First
  • Students in the co-op program, ROTC programs and international students must have their respective advisor sign it as well.
  • Students who are not on campus can fill out the form, scan it and send it to your ME advisor through email.  We will sign it, scan it and send it back to you through email.
  • Students who are accepted as freshmen cannot change their major until after the drop deadline of their first semester (second semester for those who start in the summer).
  • Turn the signed form into the registrar’s office or email it to the registrar's office.
  • If you turn your major into the registrar’s office after phase 2 registration closes for the semester, your change of major will go into effect during the following semester.